Friday, June 20, 2014

Why Lentils Are Amazing

The recipe I tried last night was a winner! And, as an added bonus, it's packs a major nutritional punch! We couldn't get enough, and ate 'til our tummies were stuffed. Needless to say, it's husband approved.

I cooked with lentils for the first time probably about 6 months ago and have never looked back! There are a variety of different kinds of lentils. I've tried quite a few different ones, but for what I've cooked, I really like the French Green and regular Green lentils.


French Green Lentils
Green Lentils
Let me tell you why they're amazing. First, they are one of the easiest things to cook. You don't have to measure out water or pay close attention to them. Just fill a pot up with water (at least enough to cover the lentils) and pop it on the stove - cook for 20-25 minutes until they're tender. That's it!

These guys help fight against obesity and help us lose weight. They are loaded with protein and fiber.  They help keep blood sugar stable, have tons of vitamins and minerals (including folate and magnesium) and help protect against heart disease. They help keep us full so we don't feel the need to  jump off the wagon. All this, and they're low in calories and have virtually no fat! Talk about a superfood! 



The recipe I tried is from Oh She Glows. To see the recipe, click here.

I ran out of cumin, so I added 1/4 tsp cumin (that's all I had) and 1/2 tsp garlic powder instead. Jon likes things spicy, so I cut up a jalapeƱo for him. Other than that, I pretty much stuck to the recipe. 

It's fast, easy, delicious and healthy! Let me know what you think!

By the way, I'm still trying to figured out how to make the comments work. I would love to hear from you, so I'm working on it!

Sources:
http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-5488/7-Health-Benefits-of-Lentils.html

No comments:

Post a Comment